Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Oil Painting of a Paniyiri

 Paniyiri Paniyiri

Paniyiri Greek Festival

I tried something new,...again.

This time I drew with charcoal on wood and sealed it with a stain/varnish. I picked a picture I took while in Greece that I felt would be challenging and at the same time fun. The image is of a typical Greek festival where everyone is concentrating on the dancers and I concentrated on the source of all the joy and happiness, the musicians.

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the challenges was getting the values right. It was a night scene but illuminated with warm artificial light. I tried combinations of yellow lake, bismuth yellow, etc,...but the one that worked best was the Gamblin "India yellow". I pushed the background color to the color side to give us that contrast and the feeling of nighttime. It's always a little tricky to decide what to include and what to omit. There were tons of details like cables that just looked better if I did not include them, but I needed some to make it look authentic. I am particularly pleased with some of the values in the clothes.


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Married Couple's gift

  This painting was commissioned by a friend of the couple, and it was such a thoughtful gift that it made me wish I had friends like him! T...