Wednesday, August 23, 2023

 

I TRAVELLED TO FINLAND 


In 2021, I had the opportunity to visit Turku in Finland. I know what you are thinking, I thought Turku was its own country, and you are thinking of Turkey. I was confused as well because I have never heard of the town before. While there, I had to visit the local museum to educate myself in the local art scene. There were several contemporary art works which were great, however the one image that caught my eye was an older piece. Here is a great link explaining the details of the scene: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2018/12/05/with-striking-juxtapositions-nordic-art-unfurls-at-the-phillips-collection

However, my attention was drawn to the application of the paint and the texture of the canvas. I was surprised to find out that it was tempera. I love the graphic feel of the work, with the outline contour of each element. The funny story behind this is that the wife of the person who commissioned it was so horrified with the image that she did not want it in her house, to which the artist did not care. He knew it was great and just because of this woman's dismissal was not a reason for him to feel badly about his work. I think this attitude was very cocky and refreshingly self-assured. He knew how good he was, and he did not care if others did not appreciate his work. Here are some close ups for you to appreciate the application of the tempera.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls from Bhutan

Here are a set of pictures showing you the process and camera setting for the latest watercolor.I am using a mic stand with a phone clamp to...